We’re starting a new thing at A2 Magazine for the blog! It’s called, if you haven’t guessed already, “Review by A2” – this segment will house ALL of our reviews that we do. The reason why this is so awesome is because it’s easier for you, our lovely readers, to get all the most important info you need in a quick-to-read-format online.
So, without much further ado (adieu?), let’s begin with our very first (of many more to come) REVIEW BY A2 segment:
What did I review?
The Dermalogica BioSurface Peel – a peel recently added to the Dermalogica offering.
Where was it?
At their concept store in the newly refurbished Rosebank Mall (I love that place!)
What was my experience?
To be completely honest I had never had a peel before not for any other reason than ‘just not getting around to it’. When I met with Dermalogica at their headquarters in Joburg and found out about the treatment, I knew it was something I needed to try.
What did I think?
It truly was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I envisioned burning skin, redness , peeling for days etc… None of this was true. In fact, there was slight tingling during the peel, but nothing that you can’t handle. Their BioSurface peel is what they refer to as a “superficial peel”.
What did I like about it?
I loved that my skin felt refreshed immediately afterward. There was some ‘tightness’ in my skin on day 1 and 2 post peel, followed by minor barely noticeable flaking on day 3 and 4. With that said, I was perfectly able to return to normal life, exercise, wear make-up, ride a mechanic bull… pretty much anything I wanted to do.
Something else I need to point out is my incredible therapist, Tyler, she really knew her stuff back to front – a true Dermalogica ambassador. It’s something that you’ll notice very quickly at the concept store, the Dermalogica therapists will assess and Face Map your skin before doing any treatment or recommending any product. This is a great way to learn about what you should and should not be doing for your skin.
Anything I didn’t like?
Who is it for?
The peel is ideal (I’m a poet and I didn’t even know I was one – read my bio below for more info about my bad jokes) for people who:
- Have never had a peel before and want to try something light and superficial, but still want great results.
- Want to maintain great skin.
- Want to fix problematic skin: pigmentation, acne, scarring, fine lines and wrinkles.
Anything else you should know?
- You receive a divine after care kit with products from Dermalogica (this is included in the price of your peel). It consists of everything you need to protect skin post peel.
- Don’t go in direct sunlight for seven days afterward.
- Use the after care kit they give you and stick to the guidelines – you don’t want unnecessary and avoidable hyperpigmentation caused by carelessness.
- Your therapist will advise if you need one to three or more treatments to get the best results.
- There are contradictions like if you’re on Roacutane, you shouldn’t be having any peels done and similarly with other medication. If you’ve never looked after your skin properly, you may want to seek further advice from your therapist before jumping into any peel treatment.
What does it cost?
The cost per treatment is R690 with a minimum of 3 treatments to see results.
Where can you get it?
Concept stores – Rosebank Mall (Johannesburg), V&A Waterfront (Cape Town) and Wembley Square (Cape Town).