What did I review?
The Dr Schrammek Green Peel (Fresh Up)
Where was it?
At Lightsculpt Clinic in Bedfordview, with the treatment performed by Elisma van Schalkwyk.
What is The Green Peel
Think of everything you know about peels. Got it? Okay good, now forget ALL of that.
The Green Peel is not like a peel as you know chemical peels to be. The biggest difference being chemical peels peel your skin via acids in the product that lift your skin. Whereas the Green Peel’s ingredients are made up of strong medical grade herbs that work their way deep into your skin’s dermis causing a reaction that lifts imperfections from deep within without chemically “stripping” the skin.
Normal chemical peels are robotic in nature. Whereas the herbs in the Green Peel are smart and penetrate themselves into skin cells and add what they need to create the rejuvenation.
It’s important to note that all peels have their place in the aesthetics and anti-ageing world and shouldn’t compete with one another. When it comes to the Green Peel, it is amazing on its own to improve your skin quality, tone, wrinkles,health, scars, pigmentation, acne and breakouts and is also ideal when formed part of a holistic aesthetic treatment plan. For example – Green Peels are used to improve your skin, anti-wrinkle injectables to reduce wrinkles and dermal fillers to restore volume where needed etc.
What was my experience?
In preparation for the Green Peel, I stopped using all skin care products with active ingredients (such as Retinol, Vitamin C) for about one month prior. This is to avoid any adverse reactions.
During Green Peel
If you’ve had peels before it is a very weird and different experience. Elisma, my therapist, prepped my skin by cleansing twice. She then mixed the Green Peel herb mixture, brushed it onto my skin and proceeded to massage this into my skin in circular motions for a minute and a half. Whilst this is happening it doesn’t burn and isn’t painful, it feels more like sand granules being rubbed onto your skin and continues to feel like very prickly pins and needles.
The whole treatment itself is a quick 45mins including the skin consult, prepping, the actual peel is around one and a half minutes, and post care.
Elisma removes the Green Peel with warm water and places on a cooling mask to calm the skin. My skin was immediately red, tingly and plumped. This is because the herbs get to work straight away and conintue to do so for up to two days. Elisma also applied the Dr Schrammek Blemish Balm and sunscreen straight after to help reduce the redness and to protect my skin throughout the day.
The redness subsided within a few hours, but the strangest feeling was the tingling of my skin for 24 hours after the peel. Every time I touched or grazed my skin with my fingers it left a path of tingles. So weird.
I experienced minimal skin tighteness the next day with very mild flaking around my dry areas (chin and nose), this was almost unnoticable so I was able to return to my daily life as usual with no downtime. With that said, the results of your Green Peel are not dependent on if you peel or not (with the Fresh Up and Energy peels), some patients may experience it and some won’t.
I was also sent home with a homecare kit which included a post care cream and solution and a blemish balm for a week. I then applied my usual sunscreen I had at home. Using these products significantly support your skin post peel and enhance results.
What did I think?
I am completely in love with the Green Peel. Completely. I want to take it on a nice seafood dinner date and introduce it to my family. My skin felt amazing afterwards, and I’ll definitely want to have a few more.
What did I like about it?
I love that while it’s a medical grade product and brand, it actaully also happens to be natural and organic. The histroy behind the Green Peel is rather amazing:
“More than 60 years ago, Christine Schrammek provided the foundation for the original GREEN PEEL® Herbal Peeling Treatment which helps people with various skin problems to get a clean and even skin. The basis is a mixture of eight selected herbs containing enzymes, minerals and vitamins, which are massaged into the skin. The Herbal Peeling Treatment was further medically developed and extended by her daughter, the dermatologist Dr. med. Christine Schrammek-Drusio, and is applied today by aestheticians and doctors worldwide. Varying amounts of the herbal plant mixtures allows the GREEN PEEL® Herbal Peeling Treatment to be adapted to individual skin conditions and the personal treatment goals.”
Who is it for?
Ideal for men and women in their 20s to 60s looking to improve their skin health, condition and reduce scars, pigmentation, breakouts, wrinkles, rough textured skin and so much more.
The Green Peel can also be used for teenagers from 16yrs and up that struggle with acne and breakouts.
What does it cost?
At Lightsculpt Clinic the cost is from R1650 for your first Fresh up Green Peel (including your homecare kit of postcare products) as at July 2016. With your follow up treatments being from R1000. However, please do contact Lightsculpt directly (011 616 1436) for their pricing details and contact Dr Schrammek below for full pricing details at other aesthetic clinics.
How many treatments do I need?
For best results, it’s recommended to have up to five treatments with two-week intervals. Although your trained skin care therapist will advise you according to your individual needs.
Where can you get it?
I had my treatment at Lightsculpt in Bedfordview (011 616 1436). Dr Schrammek is by no means a new brand, they’ve been around for over 60 years, however, they only launched in South Africa in February this year and are still in the process of rolling out the brand in clinics around the country. Contact them below to find a clinic near you.
Anything else you should know?
Yes, a few things:
- As with any skin treatments we recommend, if they are in the wrong hands they can cause damage. It is imperative to only visit aestheticians, doctors and clinics you know have been officially trained and are qualified to offer these treatments. Use the contact details below to find a clinic near you.
- The original GREEN PEEL® Herbal Peeling Treatment is exclusively offered by certified aestheticians and doctors around South Africa.
- There’re three levels of the Green Peel – the difference between these are not the ingredients, rather it’s the length of massage time onto the skin that creates the deeper intensity. The three levels are as follows:
- Fresh Up (Level 1 – gentle) – With this method, there is no peeling effect. Instead, the skin is stimulated and refreshed with natural herbs. Blood circulation is stimulated, pores open and the skin is now able to optimally absorb the ingredients of the subsequent skin care. The complexion appears brighter and fresher. GREEN PEEL® Fresh-Up vitalises the cells and your skin glows with a new freshness. This is why this treatment is the ideal problem solver for tired skin without freshness and serves as an effective prevention helper against premature ageing and loss of elasticity – even if your skin hasn’t started showing the signs of ageing yet.
- Energy (Level 2 – mild) – This treatment with natural herbs noticeably provides energy. It stimulates blood circulation and metabolism and thus leads to a natural improvement of the skin texture without any peeling effect. GREEN PEEL® Energy provides your skin with the natural energy it needs to renew the cells. It helps to reduce age-related skin appearances as well as impurities, scarring and pigment disorders. The treatment visibly improves the skin’s appearance and harmonises its surface. It works ideally as repeated, intensive salon treatment several times a year.
- Classic (Level 3 – more intense) – The success of the original GREEN PEEL® Herbal Peeling Treatment Classic for decades speaks for itself. It is the solution for various skin problems in the face and on the body. These include: large-pored, seborrheic skin, impure skin, sebum cysts, scars, skin prone to premature formation of wrinkles with sagging face contours, sun damaged skin, anti-ageing prophylaxis, some forms of hyperpigmentations, stretch marks (striae), sagging skin on the body (abdominal wall, upper arms, thighs).
- The Dr Shcrammek home skin care range is divine as well and is well worth checking out: www.drschrammek.co.za/derma-cosmetics
Get in touch with Dr Schrammek South Africa
Dr Schrammek is distributed in South Africa exclusively by Evolution Cosmetic. Contact them below to find a clinic near you offering professional treatments and products.
Phone: 011 325 5849