ABOUT DR TEMI AWOTEDU
MBChB (UKZN) MMed Derm (WITS)
Dr Temi is passionate about what she does and treats dermatological disorders of both adults, teens and children.
Her areas of interest include the diagnosis and comprehensive treatment of acne, eczema, skin cancers, mole assessment, hair loss, pigmentary disorders and diseases of the nail, and her approach is meticulous.
Medical and surgical procedures performed include skin biopsies, cautery and surgical removal of skin lesions and cryotherapy. As a dermatologist with a Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine, Dr Temi Awotedu Inc offers cosmetic procedures such as skin rejuvenation, chemical peels, microneedling and injectables (botulinum toxin and fillers).
Dr Temi Awotedu obtained her medical degree from the University of Kwazulu Natal in 2008 and qualified as a specialist Dermatologist in 2018. She is a Fellow of the South African Colleges of Medicine, in the clinical specialty of Dermatology. Dr Temi also holds a Masters in Medicine (Dermatology) degree from the University of the Witwatersrand and a Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine from the prestigious American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine.
She is a member of the South African Dermatology Society, the South African Chapter of the Women’s Dermatological Society and an associate member of the International Society of Dermatology. Her experience in both clinical and academic Dermatology was gained through years of experience at the largest hospitals in Gauteng.
- Pigmentation disorders
- Hair loss
- Skin infections
- Lichen planus
- Keratosis pilaris
- Autoimmune skin diseases
As the skin ages, it loses its natural plumpness, vibrancy and begins to thin and form wrinkles in areas such as the forehead, around the eyes and mouth. It can be caused by genetics, UV exposure and other external and internal factors but may be combatted with cosmetic dermatological treatments.
Dr Temi provides the full range of cosmetic treatments to hide the signs of ageing that manifest in our skin and provide youthful-looking skin.
Cosmetic dermatology treatments that may be beneficial include:
- Chemical peels (for face, neck, hands and other body areas such as the chest, back, shoulders and arms to reduce the appearance of fine lines, scars, freckles, acne, pigmentation and uneven skin tone).
- Microneedling (for acne scars, stretch marks, fine lines, deep or ingrained wrinkles and large pores).
- Injectables such as botulinum toxin and dermal fillers are non-surgical cosmetic dermatology treatments done to rejuvenate the skin, slow the facial ageing process and give a more youthful appearance.
At Dr Temi Awotedu Inc skin biopsies and surgical removal of skin lesions, skin tags, keratoses, warts and moles may be done with the following techniques:
- Surgical excision – this may be done for skin tumours, suspicious or precancerous moles and lesions. It involves your skin specialist removing the growth with a scalpel and closing the incision with stitches. In some cases, the surrounding tissue may be removed as well.
- Electrodesiccation – this may be done for precancerous moles and lesions and involves an electrocautery needle which burns and destroys the cancerous cells.
- Cryotherapy – this is done for skin tags and warts. Your dermatologist uses a device to freeze the growth with liquid nitrogen.
- Laser surgery – lasers can be used to remove skin warts and tags effectively.
While roughly one in five people will develop a form of skin cancer in their lives, early detection makes treatment highly effective. With that being said, once someone has had skin cancer, the chances of developing another cancerous lesion are higher.
Checking your skin for suspicious lesions and spots is vital to ensure early detection and prompt treatment. As a dermatologist, Dr Temi provides mole assessments for this very reason. By checking moles for changes in symmetry, colour, elevation, size and cancerous border spots as well as other skin lesions can be monitored and removed.
Other treatments offered for conditions such as:
- Hair loss (alopecia)
- Pigmentary disorders (hyperpigmentation)
- Diseases of the nail
- Skin rejuvenation
- Eczema (dermatitis)
- Skin cancers
Book an appointment with Dr Temi Awotedu
Phone: +27 (0)12 762 6300
Physical address: NHC Health Centre, Grey Owl Village, Louwlardia, Centurion, 0157