Create the appearance of more radiant skin with the SkinCeuticals Glycolic Renew Duo. The dynamic duo work in unison to brighten and nourish your complexion, while ingenious and innovative components are kind and gentle to your base. The ideal addition to your skincare routine, the uniquely-crafted cleanser and overnight cream leave your skin with a replenished aesthetic, without drying or stripping it of natural, essential oils. Written by Dermatologist, Dr Tarryn Jacobs.
The science behind glowing skin
Skin radiance has become a much-desired property and is characterised by abundant light reflection from the surface of the skin. Having a smooth texture is important for this mirror-like action of light bouncing back off the surface. As we grow older, skin cell turnover rates decrease which means dead skin cells sit around for longer, robbing skin of its radiance. By exfoliating the top layer of dead skin cells, glycolic acid has the ability to smooth the skin surface and enhance luminosity.
How does glycolic acid work?
Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid, which is a group of organic acids found in various fruits and vegetables. When placed on the skin, glycolic acid penetrates the stratum corneum and helps promote skin cell desquamation (or shedding), causing a more rapid skin cell turnover. It also works by reducing inflammation and optimising moisturisation. These three factors promote a more healthy-looking epidermis. With use over time, studies show that glycolic acid increases collagen production and decreases fine lines and wrinkles.
This soft-foaming gel cleanser effectively exfoliates and soothes. It is formulated with a concentration of glycolic acid that delivers a true 8% glycolic free acid value at a pH of 3.5.
Free acid value refers to the true strength of a Glycolic Acid product and demonstrates the level of active acid working to promote skin cell renewal. Formulas with a lower pH have a higher free acid value, increasing their strength and effectiveness.
Other key ingredients:
- Phytic acid – a unique ingredient that provides exfoliation and promotes skin clarity and brightness.
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract – moisturises, cools, and refreshes skin
- Glycerin – attracts water to the skin and retains skin moisture.
I recommend pairing Glycolic Renewal Cleanser with the Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight for maximum results. Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight is formulated with a free acid value of 10% glycolic acid. It also contains the ingredient Phytic acid and a 1% Soothing Complex which helps lock in hydration and provide comfort.
In an 8-week clinical study, Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight significantly improved the appearance of key markers of glowing skin.
Who are these products suitable for?
- First signs of skin ageing
- Dull skin
- Rough texture
- All skin types – just not very sensitive
- Preconditioning the skin before a series of chemical peels for better treatment outcomes
- Prolonging the effects of in-office skin brightening treatments
How do I use it on my skin?
- SkinCeuticals Glycolic Renewal Cleanser is suitable for use morning and evening.
- SkinCeuticals Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight should be introduced to the skin slowly and gradually. Start by applying a small amount every other night for the first week. As the skin starts to build up a tolerance, work towards applying it every night.
- AHAs have been found to make the skin more photosensitive so it is important to use these products alongside a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day.
Written by Dr Tarryn Jacobs MBChB, FC Derm (SA), MMed (Derm)
- Dermatologist based at NoviSkin in Pretoria noviskin.co.za/dr-tarryn-jacobs
- Part-time consultant dermatologist and lecturer at Steve Biko Academic Hospital
- Awarded the Peter Gordon-Smith Medal for Academic Excellence in Dermatology
- Member of the: DSSA, SASDS, AAD, WDS
- Dr Tarryn Jacobs on Instagram instagram.com/drtarrynjacobs
How much does it cost?
Prices as at September 2020
- SkinCeuticals Glycolic Renewal Cleanser – R780.00
- SkinCeuticals Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight – R1,450.00
Find a skincare professional offering SkinCeuticals products and treatments
SkinCeuticals skincare professionals are trained to create customised protocols that address individual skin needs and concerns, they can also help prescribe home care products to benefit the results of your treatment.
To discover which SkinCeuticals professional peels, facial treatments and home products are ideal for you, schedule a consultation today.