*This is not a sponsored review*
What is a SilkPeel® Treatment?
It’s machine operated treatment performed by a trained therapist. The exfoliating head contains a diamond treatment head. It’s a powerful yet gentle skin resurfacing treatment that exfoliates your skin and suctions away dead skin cells at the same time.
It’s similar to microdermabrasion in that the SilkPeel® treatment involves the removal of outer layers of skin through exfoliation techniques. However, the SilkPeel® differs from microdermabrasion because it employs the use of various treatment serums specially formulated to treat specific skin conditions.
While it’s exfoliating the surface of the skin, unclogging pores, reducing blackheads and the like, it’s simultaneously infusing the skin with a serum (Sam, my therapist at Sandton Aesthetic Institute, used a Vitamin C serum for skin brightness, pigmentation and fine lines and wrinkles).
The idea is – if you think of a tornado, it’s spinning around and it’s creating that suction. So, it’s opening pores and pushing the serum product into them. It’s going to help remove the surface dead skin cells that a lot of the time can block or restrict the penetration of skin products and then it’s just pushing the serum deeper into the skin. So, it’s a great overall brightening treatment, suitable for anyone, man or woman, or skin type (except if you have any facial wounds or very severe cystic acne).
You can have the SilkPeel just before an event (Sam recommends about three or four days before your event, such as a wedding – your make up will go on like a dream).
It also addresses concerns such as:
- Uneven skin tone or texture
- Fine lines and wrinkles (these improve due to the hydrating effect)
A2 Magazine’s feedback on the experience
- Love that there is no downtime.
- It is not painful at all. You feel a small suction on the skin which feels good.
- I experienced some pinky redness afterwards which dissipated in about an hour.
- My skin felt so incredibly soft and smooth afterwards.
- Helps skincare products penetrate better.
- Helps make-up go on smoother.
- Perfect to have in between other skin treatments such as microneedling, chemical peels or laser treatments.
- It’s a good replacement for a “normal” facial.
- It’s great value for your skin investment. Think of it as your “Skin ROI” :)
- Don’t be fooled by the word “peel” in the name. You won’t have any redness, peeling or shedding afterwards.
- It is not recommended if you are looking to treat more severe skin issues such as severe scarring. However, it will be a fantastic add-on when/if you have more intense skin treatments.
Any don’ts after the treatment?
- You can wear make-up after the treatment but it’s preferable not to. It’s better to keep your skin clear and rested for at least a few hours.
- Don’t use any harsh or exfoliating products in your at-home routine for a few days, as this could irritate your already exfoliated skin. You won’t need to anyway, because your skin will feel amazingly soft afterwards.
- It doesn’t sensitize your skin as a retinol or laser treatment would. However, when you’re getting a facial treatment that involves removing outer skin cells, you should take extra precautionary measures in protecting your skin from the sun by wearing sufficient amounts of sunscreen throughout the day. This will protect the newly revealed skin from pigmentation.
How long is it?
Treatment is quick, about 15 to 20 mins in total.
How many treatments should I have?
They say once a month is good. Or at least two weeks after another skin treatment.
What does it cost?
R390.00 (price may differ at other aesthetic practices and clinics)
Where I had my done?
At the Sandton Aesthetic Institute in Parkmore, Sandton, Johannesburg.
Alternatively, it is fairly widely available around the country. Contact Genop to find a clinic near you offering the SilkPeel treatment in South Africa www.genop.co.za
*This is not a sponsored review*