*Sponsored Post by Bioderma South Africa*
“When we made Biphase Lipo, we were not looking for a new product idea. Indeed, Biphase Lipo was the result of an observation.
During the pandemic, NAOS contributed to nationwide efforts by producing alcohol-based hand sanitisers and distributing it for free to hospital staff, along with a BIODERMA hand repair cream. It was then that, through the lens of our dermatological expertise, NAOS began thinking about the risks of repeated use of alcohol-based hand sanitiser posed to the skin.
Our hands become damaged and dried out, and the skin’s natural barrier is weakened, leading to an increased risk of infection. But it was not NAOS that made this observation, it was dermatologists and the wider health professional community.
From this observation came an idea: to find an alternative to regular hand sanitiser that does not weaken the skin.” – Jean-Noël Thorel (PHARMACIST and the founder of NAOS, a major dermo-cosmetic player with a presence in over 100 countries through three different brands: BIODERMA, INSTITUT ESTHEDERM and ETAT PUR.)
The solution: We have created the first cosmetic virucide
NAOS created a formula that combined enough alcohol and lipids to eliminate the virus and to protect the skin’s defence mechanisms. Today, what NAOS is offering is a new product category, one that is neither purely cosmetic nor virucidal, but a combination of the two.
Creating the first cosmetic virucide
NAOS wanted to deliver a hygiene solution that respected the ecosystem of the skin, and Biphase Lipo delivers a concrete solution to one of the problems created by the sanitary crisis. This is why, for the duration of the pandemic, 100% of the profits generated through sales of this new product will be donated to associations and foundations that work to prevent epidemics. Biphase Lipo will also be made available to the general public of South Africa via SkinMiles, Superbalist, and selected Dr’s & Dermatologists.
An Ecobiological Innovation
- TREATING BOTH CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS – we decided to create the first double-action barrier hand care. A two-phase formula that cares for the skin beyond the surface, while eliminating micro-organisms.
- UNDERSTANDING THE SKIN AS AN ECOSYSTEM – we believe that the best solution is to restore the skin’s natural layer of lipids, while simultaneously disinfecting it.
- INSPIRED BY BIOMIMETICS – we opted to use biomimetic lipids, directly inspired by healthy skin, to replenish the skin’s natural lipid layer.
- INTERACTION WITH NATURAL MECHANISMS – by replenishing the skin’s natural lipid layer, we are strengthening the skin barrier and stopping the skin from drying out.
The first double-action barrier hand care – each bottle of Biphase Lipo provides double-action barrier hand care through:
AN ALCOHOLIC PHASE TO PROTECT YOUR HEALTH: ELIMINATES VIRUSES, BACTERIA, & YEASTS
In 30 seconds, Biphase Lipo alcoolique eliminates more than 99.9% of:
- Enveloped viruses such as coronavirus, herpes simplex, and the flu virus.
- Bacteria: Enterococcus hirae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli K12
- Candida albicans.
A LIPIDIC PHASE TAKE CARE OF THE SKIN AND SOFTENS SKIN
Biphase Lipo provides a nourishing effect, illustrated by the presence of a film on the skin that forms as soon as it is applied, thanks to the formula’s 10% fat content. This effect was completely lacking from the WHO control formula, demonstrating that it is not capable of delivering lipids to the skin.
- After 14 days of use, Biphase Lipo significantly reduces transepidermal water loss (TEWL) by 23%, demonstrating improved barrier function and reduced dehydration.
- After 14 days, changes were statistically superior to the WHO’s glycerin-based control formula.
- Biphase Lipo improves the skin barrier 2.5 times more after 14 days.
- 100% of the people who tested Biphase Lipo reported that the product properly disinfects skin without altering its barrier properties and that it protects against dry skin.
How to use
Shake vigorously for 30 seconds until the solutions mix, spray on hands, rub in, and enjoy the feeling of comfort and protection on your skin.
Price and where to buy?
R199.00 (as at July 2021)
BIODERMA is a NAOS brand. At BIODERMA, we deeply respect people’s health and our planet. Ecobiology is at the heart of the NAOS approach, to better preserve and strengthen the skin within its ecosystem. This ecosystem is also part of a larger world. NAOS’s purpose, therefore, extends beyond that of skincare to include human care. We constantly question the status quo, and our ambition is to contribute to a positive future for everyone. It’s this perspective that drives us to revise our product formulations, which are methodically tested for their impact on marine life.